The name Onçardo is a portmanteau of onça (portuguese for "jaguar") and Ricardo (after his voice actor, Ricardo Boechat). "Boi" and "chá" are mundane words in portuguese ("bull" and "tea", respectively), put together in order to resemble the pronounce of the surname Boechat (bo-ee-SHA), making fun of it.
Role in the Film
He and his co-anchor describe Zootopia as a "city gripped by fear", as they report a caribou in critical condition as a result of a mauling by a savage polar bear, the twenty-seventh case of the week of a predator going savage. They also discuss Gazelle's peace rally.
In their second and final report, they announce that Assistant Mayor Bellwether, the mastermind responsible for making the predators savage, has been arrested. They also discuss Mayor Lionheart's denial of any knowledge of her plans and actions, and an antidote for those affected by the night howlers, which is proving effective.
- Boi Chá is voiced by news anchor Ricardo Boechat.
- The male anchor's portrayal differs based on certain regions' version of the film.
- In many versions of the film, including, but not limited to, the American, Canadian, French, and German versions, he is Peter Moosebridge, a moose voiced by Peter Mansbridge for the English language versions.
- In the UK version, he is still a moose, but is renamed Moosos Alexander, and is voiced by Vassos Alexander.
- In the Japanese version, he is Michael Tanuyama, a Japanese raccoon-dog, and is voiced by Imoaraizaka Kakaricho (芋洗坂係長).
- In the Australian version, he is David Koalabell, a koala, and is voiced by David Campbell.
- In the Chinese version, he is an unnamed panda..
- All four of Boi Chá's different animal variants make cameos in the main Zootopia promotional poster, but Boi Chá himself does not.
- Full name, given in the credits. Ricardo Boechat via Facebook, March 12th 2016 (archived locally)
- Ricardo Boechat vai dublar personagem brasileiro em nova animação da Disney (Ricardo Boechat will dub Brazilian character in new Disney animation), UOL Entertainment, December 5th, 2015
- The One Character Zootopia Changed For International Audiences, CinemaBlend, March 6th, 2016
- Walt Disney Studios Australia/New Zealand announces winning name for news anchor, February 14th, 2016
- Tweet from Byron Howard revealing different newscasters per movie version, March 5th, 2016