- “Foxes are red because they were made by the devil!”
- ―Pop-Pop (deleted scene)
Pop-Pop (possibly named Otto Hopps) is an elderly male rabbit in Zootopia. He is Bonnie Hopps' father, Judy Hopps' grandfather, and a member of the Hopps family. He lives in the Hopps family home in Bunnyburrow.
As of December 2015, there was a storyboard of Judy's phone call to her parents after her first day, in which "you could hear a crabby old bunny talk about how foxes were made by the devil". Judy would then reply, "That’s offensive, Grandpa."
Role in the Film
He joins the other members of Judy's family in wishing her goodbye and good luck when she moves to Zootopia.
Only having a speaking role in a deleted scene, he mispronounces Judy's name as "Trudy", and tells Bonnie to ask her if she has been eaten yet. Bonnie tells him that no one got eaten. He also states that foxes are red because they were made by the devil.
- A newspaper seen in the film and some promotional art features a column with the summary "Oldest citizen of Bunnyburrow celebrates his birthday", followed by a captioned photo of "Otto Hopps, 101 years old". It has not been confirmed whether this individual and Pop-Pop are the same character, but he bears a great resemblance to him.
- Pop-Pop greatly resembles Carl Fredricksen from Disney/Pixar's Up. Whether or not this was intentional is unknown.
- Jared Bush via Twitter, April 9th, 2016
- See this picture
- Jared Bush via Twitter, April 13th, 2016
- See this image
- 'Zootopia' Co-Director Jared Bush and Writer Phil Johnston Talk Perfecting Script Over and Over Again at Geeks of Doom, December 3rd, 2015